Friday 23 March 2012

Mui Ne; Almost Arabia

Set on the coast amid rolling sand dunes, the town of Mui Ne seems a world away from the rest of Vietnam. I said town but it’s really just a tourist resort although there is a close-by fishing village which supplies some delicious fresh fish to the tourist restaurants which is super tasty. I visit both the red and white sand dunes on a tour on my first afternoon in Mui Ne, their undulating forms dominate sections of land and standing in the centre I’d like to say you feel like you could be lost in the middle of the Sahara but you can see either a lake or the ocean from both so that would be misleading. They’re not quite as impressive as I’d imagined but quite a sight none the less and very different from any other landscape I’ve seen in the country. The tour also takes me to a spot dubbed ‘the fairy spring’; a stream which runs alongside a section of the dunes where red and white sands create some colourful formations. It’s actually the highlight and more beautiful than the star dunes. I also borrow a bicycle one morning to cycle to a couple of old Cham towers which stand atop a hill, they're well preserved and with the view from the hill rewarding enough for my cycle. Mui Ne has little else to offer the average traveller it’s more of a two week tourist destination for holidaying Russians, although the beach is nice enough to spend an extra day relaxing here and gorging on the freshest seafood!

No comments:

Post a Comment